While it’s still recommended by many global governments not to travel internationally for non-essential purposes, many of the destinations we specialize in are starting to ease some of these border restrictions in an attempt to welcome international travellers back. Keep in mind, all countries require negative Covid-19 tests and some destinations have other requirements such as proof of being fully vaccinated, and/or mandatory travel insurance, so we encourage you to speak to your Downunder Travel agent for the most up-to-date entry requirements upon booking the destination of your choice.
We are excited to be able to travel again in the near future, however, there could still be delays within the first year of travel due to enhanced cleaning protocols in place, which include frequent use of medical-grade cleaning materials for guest rooms, airports, public spaces and vehicles. As well, there have been updated guest contact measures and payment solutions to adhere to social distancing protocols. Best to always check with your travel advisor on the safety and health measures implemented by your visiting destination, airline, hotel and tour operator(s). Note: travellers flying into Canada are required to submit mandatory travel info via the ArriveCan app.
If you’re wondering when you will be able to travel again, here’s an update on each of the destinations we sell:
As of 24 June 2021, The Islands of Tahiti and French Polynesia have re-opened the country’s borders to American and Canadian travellers who have proof of being fully vaccinated (two doses). Vaccinated travellers will not be required to quarantine upon arrival.
As of 01 December 2021, Fiji will be opening its international borders to fully vaccinated Canadian and U.S. travellers! Fiji is accepting the following WHO-approved vaccines: Astra-Zeneca, Pfizer, Moderna, Johnson & Johnson and Sinopharm/Sinovax vaccines. Travellers must also receive a negative RT PCR Test 72 hours prior to boarding their flight and must present the negative test at the airport gate. Finally, upon landing, vacationers must download the mandatory contact-tracing app, FijiCARE on their smartphones.
We are selling travel to Central America in addition to the South Pacific, Asia and Africa. Here are the countries that have opened up to international travellers:
- Costa Rica is open and as of 01 August 2021, fully vaccinated visitors will no longer be required to show proof of travel medical insurance to enter the country nor would these travellers require proof of negative PCR testing upon entry.
- Belize is open and as of 09 August 2021, travellers entering Belize will require a negative COVID-19 test, regardless of vaccination status. A PCR test must have been taken with 96 hours or travel.
- Panama is open and requires visitors to have a negative PCR test taken within 48 hours prior to departure is required.
Out of our Africa vacations, here are the countries that have begun accepting international visitors:
- Kenya began welcoming international visitors on 01 August 2020!
- Rwanda began welcoming international visitors on 01 August 2020!
- South Africa began welcoming international visitors on 13 November 2020!
- Zimbabwe began welcoming international visitors on 08 November 2020!
- Tanzania began welcoming international visitors on 04 May 2021!
The Cook Islands are still closed to Canadian travellers.
The 15 islands that make up the Cook Islands remain a COVID-19 FREE ZONE! The Cook Islands are currently only open to New Zealanders.
New Zealand and Australia are currently closed to Canadian travellers.
A travel ban is still in place preventing all non-Australian citizens or non-residents from entering Australia. If you do travel to Australia for essential purposes, you are required to quarantine for 14 days at a government-appointed hotel. The cost of quarantine is paid by the traveller.
There is still a remaining border control for travellers entering New Zealand, including health screening and testing for all arrivals, as well as a mandatory 14-day managed quarantine.
Note: the above information is subject to change at any time as the covid situation and vaccine rollout remains very fluid.
We hope everyone is keeping well and safe and we look forward to helping you plan epic travels once again – you can still contact us for 2022 pricing or to have one of our Destination Experts put together a vacation itinerary for you.