Fiji – a ‘bucket-list’ destination by many – has become featured in many Hollywood movies as well as popular television shows worldwide. Here are some films and programmes that you may or may not have known have either mentioned or featured Fiji, or were actually filmed in some of the beautiful Fijian Islands!
- Castaway – this award-winning film that came out at the start of the new millennia about a plane that crashes into a deserted island starring Tom Hanks was entirely filmed on Monuriki Island, a tiny island within the Mamanuca group of islands.
- Adrift – Starring Shailene Woodley, this epic movie is based on a true story about a young couple whose sailing expedition from the South Pacific to California goes horribly wrong as they head directly into one of the largest recorded hurricanes. The movie was filmed all over Fiji’s mainland from Suva to Rakiraki and Pacific Harbour.
- The Bachelorette – On the show’s 7th season, which aired in 2011, we got to see the reality show’s leading lady Ashley Herbert become engaged to J.P. Rosenbaum on beautiful Vomo Island, Fiji! They are still together to this day, married with two children. Fiji is must be the place for lasting love as JoJo Fletcher, star of season 12 of The Bachelorette, was spotted vacationing with winner Jordan Rodgers—they’re still engaged to this day! Another North American reality show filmed in Fiji was Survivor.
- The Truman Show – Starring Jim Carrey, this 1998 film was about a man named Truman whose entire life was filmed through a series of hidden cameras, without his knowledge, for an ongoing reality television show watched by the world. While the movie itself wasn’t filmed in Fiji, Truman often speaks of Fiji as a dream destination he wishes to flee to.
- Contact – this 1997 movie, starring Jodie Foster and Matthew McConaughey, is about a scientist who has not only found evidence of extraterrestrial life, but is able to make contact through radio emissions. This movie was shot in a few locations within the Yawasa group of islands.
Written By: Lori (Destination Specialist)
– I am proud to now say that I have worked over 30 years in the travel industry (certified and ‘fluent’ in the South Pacific regions)! Hey, it was and is still my first and only ‘grown-up job’!